Illnesses and Antibiotic Resistance
Sinus infections can be caused by bacteria or viruses.
Will antibiotics help?
- Antibiotics are needed for sinus infections caused by bacteria; antibiotics are not needed for sinus infections caused by viruses.
- Check with your health care provider if cold symptoms last longer than 10 - 14 days without getting better or pain develops in your sinus area.
What can you do if you have a sinus infection?
- You need lots of extra rest.
- Drink plenty of fluids (especially water) and eat healthy foods.
- Take acetaminophen* for muscle aches or fever.
- Decongestants* may help if you have a stuffy nose.
* Follow package directions for age & dose or your health care providers’ instructions.
- A cool mist vaporizer may help too.
- Keep your home smoke-free.