Illnesses and Antibiotic Resistance
Ear infections can be caused by bacteria or viruses.
Will antibiotics help?
- Ear infections can be caused by bacteria or viruses, so not all ear infections need antibiotics.
- Your health care provider will need to assess your symptoms and determine whether antibiotics are needed.
What can you do if you or your child have an ear infection?
- Apply warm or cold packs to the outer ear area.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Keep your head propped up when resting.
- Keep your home smoke-free.
- Ask your doctor about topical analgesic eardrops for pain.
- Take acetaminophen* for muscle aches or fever.
- Do not give a child aspirin.
- Decongestants* may help if you have a stuffy nose.
* Follow package directions for age & dose or your health care providers’ instructions.
More about ear infections: